First of all I am not an atheist because I want to lead a sinful life. It was a conscious decision after quite a bit of reflection on gods and on what my religion, Catholicism professed. There was no problem in obeying any commandment for the common good of the society. Indoctrinated into Catholicism by my parents from day 1, parish priests and religious sisters of my school later, I became an ardent believer. The indoctrination continued by way of daily mediation on the Catholic doctrines, frequent retreats, daily Bible readings and reflections on their ‘truths’ in the catholic seminary where I joined as an aspirant for priesthood. But soon the flaws started to surface from within.
1. What is the sin of humans?
I was told as a child that I was born in sin by the plum Catholic priests from their pulpits. What had I done to be born in sin? If the first parents who lived millenniums before, disobeyed god, in what way is it connected with me? The priest also mentioned often that God sent his only son to suffer and die on the cross as atonement of my sin. But what is the sin of humans? God punished the first parents so severely and he even sent their souls into eternal fire! Why the hell is that disobedience passed on to the descendants? If he did not, what is the need for his son to come, suffer and die?
2. The contradictions and inconsistencies of the world religions. Even among people who believe in gods- there is no agreement on what god is, whether god is a he or a she, whether he is 1 or more and whether it is a personal being or an impersonal spirit. I had also noted that no religion defined god, his place of abode or how did he originate. Buddhism lacks any sort of a concept of god. Christianity has a trinity. Judaism and Islam have one supreme god. Hinduism is pantheistic; A few others are animistic. Even the ultimate purpose of life is different from religion to religion. Buddhism speaks of Nirvana-the cessation from attachment. For Christianity it is spiritual life with god in heaven. Islam’s heaven is a material one full of worldly pleasures. Hinduism promises escape from life and rebirth cycles. Even morality is altogether different. What is good in one religion can be bad in another. What is strictly enforced in a faith has no meaning in another. In short,gods are different, purpose of life is different and morality is different. Sects of major religions like Christianity and Islam are fighting with each other.Religions have waged thousands of wars and their different sects have fought and killed each other for their gods. The believers of one religion reject the gods of other religions.
3. Gods come and go. There has been thousands of gods like Apollo, Horus, Zeus, Mithras, Tammuz, Osiris, Dionysus, who were also born of virgins, and who died young and resurrected for the sins of their people. They have all died and gone. Many of the mythical gods of ancient civilizations have disappeared too. From the 320 million gods, today's Hinduism has only a handful of them. Won’t the present gods like Allah, Jesus, Rama, Krishna and others also disappear like them?
4. People believe in a religion depending on the location and family they are born into. If you are born in the US you would probably be a Christian, if you are born in India you would be a Hindu, if you are born in the Arabian lands you would be a Muslim. There is no objective truth in any belief-it is all geographical and parental conditioning. An individual practices a religion he has been brought up in; he has no other choice. People don’t have the opportunity to analyze, examine and come to scientific conclusions. They continue to believe what they had been taught as children.
5. What is the rationality for religions? Arguments of people like ‘ the Bible/Gita says so or based on personal experiences.. 'they are ridiculously weak and give no proof. Every so-called ‘holy book’ is man-made with fictitious stories and fundamental mistakes.
6. What is the need for any religion? There is no potency in god as he is pure act. He knows everything past and future; it is not simply that he knows them, but things happen because he knows them. Since god determines everything, do we have to try to avoid sin and do good? It’s already known to Him from all times whether we will go to heaven or hell.
7. Why should I believe in a god who brings pain and suffering? Humans have been suffering ever since their appearance. Frequent natural calamities-like quakes, tsunamis,floods, hurricanes,volcanic eruptions,and contagious diseases have obliterated their entire societies.At least 45-50% of all born into this world have died before reaching the age of ten. Why does god create the psychotic, the crippled, the mentally retarded and the imbeciles (about 5% of the population)? A good god would try to make his creation happy and not miserable. As he seems to enjoy such repugnant acts why should I believe in Him? Fuck him. The poorest, the crippled and the destitute need gods most. But god doesn’t seem to help them at all. His love and helping roles have been confined to the pulpits of Christianity where they extol him to the heavens.
8. There is no need for a god any more. The universe is self-generating and self-propelling as scientists like Stephen Hawkins says. It is now almost certain that our universe goes without any interference of any god. Life has to be evolved in an earth-like planet placed in the Eco-sphere of a sun like star. We don’t need a god to explain the universe, how it originated or how it works nor to explain life down here, floods, hurricanes, earthquakes, epidemics, poverty, and suffering.
9. Soul is a creation of early man. It is amply proven that unicellular organism evolved into complex beings and in almost 3 billion years conscious self-aware beings evolved. They created gods and arrived at the concept of souls out of their intense desire to live eternally like the gods they created. The existence of a soul is not supported by any scientific evidence. Scientists-including Einstein, agrees that there is no soul and that with death everything is over. Brain death renders a person’s personality and character nonexistent. Once brain dies, he/she is over and done with. All our feelings, freewill, hunches, gut-feeling, is all neurologically based. Every feeling is inextricably linked to the brain. soul has been a myth conceived by early man and perpetuated by religions.
10. No religion or god has ever been subjected to rigorous testing. The Bible stories of creation centers on a geocentric world which is infinitesimally small compared to the vast universe. -even the solar systems is a spec and god took most of his days for creating the earth and its paraphernalia. He created the stars, galaxies and the island universes just in one shot. The religious beliefs will fall apart with a small scientific test. It can prove the power of prayer, faith-healing, or life after death nonsense. Can any miracle or a prayer-result stand the test of science? Supernatural claims stand up under careless and casual examination. No religion or spiritual belief make testable claims. Religions rely more on mystery dogmas and try to avoid any critical test.
11. God has no place in the universes or in our lives. Fuck him. The understanding of physical world has grown; the universe has yielded its mysteries to humans already. God has no place in it. There is no consensus about god even among religions. Some believe; others do not. Each religion point out to its sacred text for its stand-which as we all know has no meaning at all. There is no solid evidence for the existence of any god. Why should I believe in something which is not there?